Friday 1 July 2016

Blog survey for writers: 2. Gender



2. What gender do you prefer to have as a protagonist? If you have no preference, what gender do you most often have as a protagonist?


No preference. I don't think I've ever counted this either. So, let's see. I guess I'll count the protagonists from all the projects that currently seem to have a future. Most of them are still in progress, or I'm rewriting them. Not counting short stories.



Male:

  • Valter Forrest, originally from a silly school play called Case Casanova, then recreated as a detective novel with fantasy elements. On hiatus, because I decided in high school that I wasn't mature enough to write it the way I wanted it to be. I was definitely right, but the characters in it are dear to me, and I think that in a few years I could write it again.

  • Roux, from a draft currently titled Warlock. It's a very surrealistic story about love in a world where life and death work quite differently than in ours.
  • Elias, from a speculative story called Locks, for now. He's a high school teacher who comes across a group of students who seem to have formed some kind of a cult.

  • Jaro, my first asexual protagonist from a story I've working titled Closet. Set in modern world with no speculative elements (rare for me). It's about the everyday life and relationships of a few high school kids. Most of them are LGBT+ in one way or another.

Valter Forrest and his rival/partner Cherry.



Female:


  • Sessa, from a middle grade kind of novel with a title I'm not sure how to translate well. It's a linguistic reference to the Finnish name for Sleeping Beauty. It's about a girl who attends a magical ballet school. I wrote this in high school and it's crap but I want to write it again.
  • Dina, and Semira from Anem, the only dystopian and the only religion themed story I've ever written. They live in a medieval-esque village overruled by religious elite.
  • Viola, from the first title, Villa Viola, in what I've planned to be a series (I haven't started writing the others yet though), based on an exchange comic I drew with my friend as a kid. Set in a world where people go about their lives based on strong intuition, which Viola has trouble relating to.

  • Lilea, from another magical school story, also called Lilea, since I discovered that Lucky Islands was a bad name. (Don't worry, it's not like Harry Potter.) The students learn magic through music and Lilea is not very interested in her instrument.


Dina, having a weak moment. Overly dramatic, I know...



Non-binary:

  • Yene, from a scifi novella Miss Anti-luck about a bunch of people sent to do community service in an alternate universe.

  • Felix, from my only historical story ever, called Mimina Optimus Maximus. It's about a roman theather troupe and originally written with a girl called Mimina as the protagonist, but later I felt like it was better from Felix's viewpoint.


Mixed:


  • Then there's my massive fantasy project currently named Ashland, with three female protagonists Sofie (though she's really gender apathetic), Evangelica and Ririn, and one male protagonist Hart, in its newest version. Before rewriting, I had written two novels in this series with so many viewpoint characters it was really hard to draw the line between protagonists and supporting characters, so I don't really know how to count them.
  • Jade and Oliver, from an exchange story of the same name (this time, written) with the same friend I drew the exchange comic with. Written in the middle of Twilight hype. We wanted to write... a somewhat different kind of paranormal romance. All the ideas weren't half bad, so I have the permission to rewrite this story as well.

Sofie, Evangelica and Ririn.



So, it looks pretty even for male and female. A few more female protagonists but like I said, there's no preference related reason behind it, so I guess it's just random. Everyone just pops up in my head the way they do.



No comments:

Post a Comment